Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Small beginnings

A friend of mine keeps sending me pictures of his vegetable garden. And each time I see it, I am surprised by how much it has grown. He sent me a box of some zucchinis last week and I have been enjoying them immensely. He emailed me last night and said, "more on the way!"

So it was no surprise when I was walking into Safeway the other day and saw tomato plants for sale outside the entrance to the store, that I quickly scooped one up for my own.

I haven't done a thing to them but they sure are producing fine tomatoes. I picked a few this morning and will enjoy eating them with my lunch.


There is something very nurturing about having one's own plant to eat from.

6 comments:

danny said...

wow look at those! bright red already!...yeah nothing like homegrown tomatoes, they are sooo tasty! enjoy them!

Doodlestreet said...

My mom always has quite a few of these plants going thru the summer...she calls them her tom-tom's.


Tom-tom wedges with a pinch of sea salt...yum!!

doodlegirl said...

That beautiful plant is lookin' a bit dry and thirsty.. I gave it a good water today. I have been enjoying the "fruit of my labor" and hope it doesn't end too quickly because of my sorry green thumb.

Doodlestreet said...

shove a stick of 'green jerky' in the pot!

danny said...

Well the general rule of thumb is to water them every 2 or 3 days in the morning, but if the leaves are droopy, or in hot weather, then water them every morning about an inch. Especially if they're in pots!

platitudinal said...

How is your tomato plant doing, Shawn? I'm not much of a gardener, but Christer has a vegetable garden in the backyard. He said that the food taste more delicious when you grow them yourself. :)